Idk is one of those words that people who are not very Internet-savvy may need help decrypting.
- Idk is an abbreviation for a phrase I don’t know.
- Idk is most often used in informal communication, such as text messaging.
- There are no formal rules for using capital letters in words like idk.
The Meaning of Idk
Idk is an abbreviation for a phrase I don’t know.
Idk is part of a newly developed dialect called the text messaging language or SMS. This dialect is mainly used in informal communication, especially when communicating via text or instant messages. The phrase idk has been used in text since at least 2002.
How to Use Idk
You can use idk in the same way as the phrase I don’t know.
In informal writing, especially in text messages, capitalization rules are lax at best, so you can choose how you want to handle idk. In text speech, one rule has appeared: spelling a word in capital letters means that you are either shouting it out, or otherwise trying to emphasize or enhance its effect. If you are using idk in a more formal context, you should always make sure that you use it – or not – consistently.
- Idk when I arrive.
- I need milk, but I don’t know if the store is open now.
- I understand what you mean.